SECTION D – STANDARD FOR BALLAST FOR BALLAST WATER MANAGEMENT
Regulation D-1. Ballast Water Exchange Standard
1. Ships performing Ballast Water exchange in accordance with this regulation shall do so with an efficiency of at least 95% volumetric exchange of Ballast Water.
2. For ships exchanging Ballast Water by the pumping-through method, pumping through three times the volume of each Ballast Water tank shall be considered to meet the standard described in paragraph 1. Pumping through less than three times the volume may be accepted provided the ship can demonstrate that at least 95% volumetric exchange is met.
Regulation D-2. Ballast Water Performance Standard
1. Ships conducting Ballast Water Management in accordance with this regulation shall discharge less than 10 viable organisms per cubic metre greater than or equal to 50 micrometres in minimum dimension and less than 10 viable organisms per millilitre less than 50 micrometres in minimum dimension and greater than or equal to 10 micrometres in minimum dimension; and discharge of the indicator microbes shall not exceed the specified concentrations described in paragraph 2.
2. Indicator microbes, as a human health standard, shall include:
1. Toxicogenic Vibrio cholerae (O1 and O139) with less than 1 colony forming unit (cfu) per 100 millilitres or less than 1 cfu per 1 gram (wet weight) zooplankton samples ;
2. Escherichia coli less than 250 cfu per 100 millilitres;
3. Intestinal Enterococci less than 100 cfu per 100 millilitres.
Read More: BWM CONVENTION