- Inspectors shall have the status and conditions of service to ensure that they are independent of changes of government and of improper external influences.
- Inspectors provided with proper credentials shall be empowered:
- to board a ship registered in the territory of the Member and to enter premises as necessary for inspection;
- to carry out any examination, test or inquiry which they may consider necessary in order to satisfy themselves that the legal provisions are being strictly observed;
- to require that deficiencies are remedied; and
- where they have grounds to believe that a deficiency constitutes a significant danger to seafarers’ health and safety, to prohibit, subject to any right of appeal to a judicial or administrative authority, a ship from leaving port until necessary measures are taken, the ship not being unreasonably detained or delayed.
Read More: C-178 [Labour Inspection]