Q.A ship operates permanently in a special area, or is a high-speed craft complying with the HSC Code, on scheduled voyages with a turn-round time not exceeding 24 hours. Does she have to meet the MARPOL Annex I Regulation 14 equipment requirements?
Not necessarily. The requirements may be waived by the flag state administration for a ship engaged exclusively on voyages in special areas, as long as:
1. she is fitted with a holding tank with a volume adequate for retaining all oily bilge water;
2. all oily bilge water is retained on board for discharge to reception facilities;
3. adequate reception facilities are available in a sufficient number of ports and terminals at which the ship calls;
4. the international oil pollution prevention certificate is endorsed; and
5. the quantity, time, and port of the discharge are recorded in the oil record book Part I (MARPOL Annex I, Reg. 14.5).
Read More: Q & A